My SL4000 Review
First Impressions Of The SL4000
Adjustability: The S-Line ’s Got It All!
Field-Testing The SL4000 For Nearly 2 Years
With my stature – 1.89cm & 85 kilos – the SL4000 is not the best fit for me. At least not for doing a long-term field-test of this chair. So once again I got a colleague involved who tips the scale at around 75kg and is 1.76 in height which is optimal for this seat’s measurements and shaping (find out more in the SL4000 Size Guide).
The Upgrade: SL4000 Rev. 2 – What’s New!?
The company kept its promises and implemented some minor changes as an answer to customer feedback. So, a few months after the initial release of the SL4000 they launched a second revision that comprises the following alternations:
- Design changes to gas lift, base and casters: If you compare the picture above of the rev. 2 model with the original pictures in my SL4000 review you will notice that these parts have been given a much more refined and unique shaping. The casters now also feature a fitting two-tone design and the brand’s logo in the centre.
- The height of the seat: To make their chairs available for an even bigger crowd Vertaear adjusted the mounting of the gas lift to lower the overall sitting height by a few centimetres.
Design Alternatives & Original Accessories
There are seven different designs available with either black or white as the foundation combined with a second colour like red, green, blue or white – and of course, there is the black carbon version that you can admire in my SL4000 review. I think the design aspect is something the S-Line trumps with and the colours look particularly vibrant and vivid.
Regarding accessories, there are several casters of the newer unibody generation available: A 65mm as well as a 75mm variant both with or without auto-lock functionality. The latter is triggered by the user’s weight and stops your SL4000 from slipping away while you are gaming. You can find all the accessories here: → Check out on Overclockers UK!
As I said: The SL4000 is an excellent gaming chair with its own unique charms, and it certainly gives good bang for the buck. However, it is of vital importance that you pay attention to my size guide – anything else and you will be gambling with your future sitting comfort.
Height-wise everything up to a max of 1.90 meters is welcome. In matters of weight, you have to be more cautious if you want to profit from the SL4000’s ergonomic shape. Anything below average goes well with this chair, but 90 kilos is the absolute max even though it theoretically carries up 150kgs. Personally, I think if you weigh more than 80 to 85 kilos you should rather check out the SL5000 or the Triigger Series.
Final Conclusion: If It Fits, It Fits Great – If Not … Not
Ok guys, let us wrap this review up:
- Regarding adjustability, the SL4000 leaves nothing to be desired: 4D-armrests, rocking, tilt & of course seat height
- Instead of PU Vertagear uses (the cheaper) PVC which feels less like genuine leather but did not attract significant negative attention during my testing
- The design of the SL4000 – aggressive shape & vibrant colours – gives it a unique characteristic
- 150 kgs is the max load for this sturdy chair with its steel frame, class 4 gas lift and high-density foam
- A race car like support like getting hugged from behind is the SL4000’s speciality
- Although it’s support makes this chair very comfy it is very dependant on a certain user size – if you are too big, you will feel cramped after long hours
- Ambitioned company behind it that pays attention to customers – the upgraded Rev. 2 is a prime example for that
- At almost the cost of a Formula Series chair from DXRacer, the SL4000 is very cost effective
The SL4000 offers premium flexibility, a unique design and elaborate ergonomics. The distinct support by its side boulders and characteristic seating surface gives the user a realistic sportscar feeling – the seat literally hugs you from behind. Even though Vertagear went a little money-conscious by choosing PVC over PU the overall quality is convincing rendering the SL4000 a great choice for anyone who fits into it!
Additional Buying Sources
© 2017 GOTURBACK.uk
Our goal is to find the perfect gaming chair for each and every one of you. If you have any questions left unanswered or content ideas feel free to contact us via email or the commentary function.